Paper Reading | What is Computer-Mediated-Communication?
Oct 19, 2022
JCMC called for papers and this is the answer. This is an introduction to a special issue of JCMC. More details, questions, and critics will be added as hyperlinks of each point after reading.
This is an introduction to a special issue of JCMC. More details, questions, and critics will be added as hyperlinks of each point after reading. 😄
- Why ask: ubiquitous computer, why CMC?
- A focus on the mediated process (Caleb Carr), and the underlying phenomena (Andrew Flanagin) 🔗 Notes
- Typological cues in CMC (Kun Xu and Tony Liao)
- Communication visibility (Jeffery Treem, Paul Leonardi, and Bart van den Hoof)
- Technologies → various social, psychological, and communicative phenomena
- Psyco impacts (Shyam Sundar)
- AI-Mediated-Communication (Jeff Hancock, Mor Naaman, and Karien Levy): “modified, augmented, or even generated by a computational agent to achieve communication goals.”
- An entire system & “sociality”(Scott Campbell)
- From web 2.0 UGC to now, network techniques
- Jiawei Sophia Fu and Chih-Hui Lai
- Bibliometric analysis?
- Jiawei Sophia Fu and Chih-Hui Lai:
- Clusters tightly connected & far removed from others
- Unique theoretical frameworks or methods
- Should define boundary
- Important to know interdisciplinary and evolving nature.
- Although a focus on the process is a good idea, may be “computation-mediated” is better.
- Computation, prevent attention distracted by the“computer”
- Mediated, same to the article, process
Yao, M. Z., & Ling, R. (2020). “What is computer-mediated communication?”—An introduction to the special issue. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 25(1), 4-8. (Full-text)